Just a Rumor?

Home Forums Forum Just a Rumor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ApplianceGuy
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Just heard from a distributor thaty Capital Cooking is done? Can anybody verify this? i hate rumors as the rest of you do but i would hate to see them gone if its true, very nice products.

NOTE FROM APPLIANCEADVISOR.COM
    We reached Surjit Kalsi, president of Capital Cooking. He said: "that is absolute stupidity, absolute stupidity…in fact we are looking for a bigger place".
    We exchanged pleasantries, had a laugh, and discussed how one keeps a free speech outlet like the Forum while trying to keep people from yelling "FIRE" in a movie theatre.

Explosive rumors should be emailed to ApplianceAdvisor.com for confirmation, not broadcast on the Forums.

SteadySelling
    Participant

I don’t have an answer, but I wanted to post that Sunbeam is buying SubZero after reading the LG thing. Think about it – they both start with the same letter and they both have the same numbers of letters. That can’t be a coincidence. I would be anxious to know the Capital thing and am all ears for someone who has info….

Appliance Stallion
    Participant
    Capital Cooking is fully operational despite the rumors started by the Southern California juggernaut who espouse family values while telling suppliers not to do business with Capital. Perhaps they should stick to attempting to repair their own problems and leave Capital alone.
    kona

Starting rumors and putting out false information in an attempt to damage your competitors is as old as business itself. Practised mostly by lower life forms, there should be no room for it in our industry.

However, ApplianceAdvisor’s suggestion that all "explosive rumors" should be e-mailed to him "for confirmation" sounds a lot like former VP Dick Cheney. "Let me determine the facts as I see them, and then I’ll decide and tell you what I think you need to know"

AA’s remarks on this site have on more than one occasion exposed that he may have certain biases (hopefully he doesn’t). I think that hardly qualifies him to become the supreme arbiter of fact versus fiction for the rest of us. I have no problem with "explosive" and untrue rumors being exposed for what they are in the Forum. Often it exposes those who started them as well.

Appliance Stallion
    Participant
    The Advisor is the furthest thing from Dick Cheney. However to allow unfounded rumors of the demise or sale of organizations is actually close to unfair business practices and can hold one accountable for damages. Since we have some irresponsible folks who do that I believe that substantiating those kind of wild rumors is a good thing. I highly doubt that a responsible news organization does it any different.In fact I know they don’t. Just because we come on the site and write our articles does not make any of us expert in protocol or the law for that matter.You obviously need to see someone targeted legally for an issue to find out it isn’t always as you may see it.Opinions of how people run a business are a little different and seem to follow your assumptions.Just as I have given my opinions.
    The Advisor
    Keymaster

The Forum is a resource (unique perhaps?) where we seek industry discussion with some protection provided under an alias username. As long as there’s a Forum, it will be what the users make of it, but beyond this we were trying to provide the friendly suggestion:, "Let’s not abuse the resource". It is not the intent of ApplianceAdvisor.com to provide a soap box for the dissemination of false information which drives us all, dealers, distributors, manufacturers, media, from one unnecessary convulsion to another. It’s not that we don’t lean a little over the edge here, maybe even a lot over the edge, but it’s that we provide some evidence, either direct or circumstantial, to support the lean, beyond "I heard XYZ is in closing".

As aside and often forgotten, it ain’t all puppies and lollipops to be first with an explosive story since it can go off in your face.

Biases? That might be a good Forum discussion right there.

kona

I feel very strongly that AA’s Forum is unique, and presents an excellent opportunity to exchange information and thoughts about the industry. I also believe its strength comes from it being a wide open forum (aside from a few obvious and civil guidelines). I would be very disappointed if the Forum started evolving into a place for managed messages and less than free flow dialog, as it would weaken its appeal to me (and perhaps others). AA – It would be nice if the nastier sides of our industry that come up from time to time (false rumors, deliberate misinformation, agendas, etc) did not happen on your turf. As you say it’s not all puppies and lollipops out there. I just don’t bellieve the answer is creating choke points to manage information regarding rumors or any other subject. Explosive rumors (true or otherwise) have been finding their way around the industry long before the internet and the ApplianceAdvisor. The open Forum dialogs excel at quickly exposing and squelching false rumors, and you should be commended for that. The Dick Cheney analogy was a little strong (but it did get your attention, didn’t it?) It’s admirable that you have offered your services to seek the truth on your audience’s behalf and to shield us from the ugliness, but that’s not necessary, and besides – that’s a slippery slope you don’t need to put yourself on. We’re all big boys and big girls who can figure things out. Keep it free flowing.

Appliance Stallion
    Participant
    It is one thing to be unique, another to be irresponsible. Everything I bring to the forum I could back up with evidence of what has or is occurring. Like everyone else I have certain biases but frankly I don’t want to engage with irresponsible people talking out of their ass about subjects they are only guessing at or act as they know something and really don’t and then cry "free speech" That is the kind of activity I speak of. Hiding behind a forum identity makes for some real paper tigers. What would you say if your real name was published ? There are enough of those sites already that abuse etiquette . Since my background is more operational or as an owner many of my friends marvel at how many rumors come from sales people that are false. I don’t mean to alienate the good ones but that seems to be true from most people I talk to Kona. I probably have a better cross section of people to chose from than do you.So if you sell SZ and are looking to hurt Viking I guess you should be able to start rumors that are false and hurtful ? I know AA will be mad at me for this so I am sorry to them for the lashing out. They have a wonderful site with much good and useful information.
    kona

Whoa Stallion, I think you might be missing the main part of my point here. First off, I have never in several decades in this industry started or facilitated a rumor of any kind. Second, I don’t for a minute condone the irresponsibility of those who engage in starting rumors, regardless if they are just "pranksters" who like to see a rumor travel and morph as it circulates, or if they are more dangerous"covert types" intentionally trying to do damage to individuals or organizations. I’ve had plenty of experience with both, including the unpleasantness of being a target of the latter type. I’m just pointing out that whether we like it or not, this crap does go on and therefore should be exposed to the light of day and invite skepticism and debate. Each time one of these irresponsible rumors appears, what appeals to me is not the rumor itself – it’s what the commentators I respect such as yourself have to say about it, what some of the less informed commentators are expressing, and the opportunity to participate in the discussion myself. The dialogs tend to move quickly beyond the actual rumors, and I find them to be very interesting and insightful. I would not want to see any person or organization hurt in the process. It appears to me that the dialogs on the subject of rumors do a great job of protecting the affected parties by exposing fictions quickly and efficiently to a very broad audience. Hopefully, they also will discourage or make individuals at least think twice about starting or facilitating rumors in the first place.

Appliance Stallion
    Participant
    Kona. I never intended to imply you were one of those types that practiced yellow journalism. Sorry if you got that impression. I guess you do make some valid points on the subject. I can’t argue much with your content. Surprised huh ? So am I.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar